Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Racism/Racists Are Confusing ...

I've become a fan of the show Jon & Kate Plus 8 on TLC. It's a family oriented reality show based on this Philadelphia family who, through fertility treatments, had a set of twins and then a set of sextuplets. Jon and Kate are, obviously, the parents. Jon is half Korean and half white. Kate is white.

Since I don't have a tv out here in NYC, I've been trying to follow the show via clips posted on youtube by TLC. I try to not read the comments people leave on youtube because it seems to be a mecca of negativity and ignorance. But it's like a magnet ... sometimes you can't help yourself! What puzzles me are the people who are racist. For example, someone left a comment that said:

"[The kids] need to act asian, not white. And anyone that thinks Jon is hot is on some serious crack&meth. :]"

Someone responded with:
"This comment annoys me. How does someone act like a race?"

Which then the original poster said:
"Oh my. I'm being politically incorrect, aren't I? Sorry to throw a frog in your tea, but we all know that it's possible to imitate 'races', whether those attributes consist of stereotypes or not.
Translation: Chill out~"

I'm not particularly worked up or anything because I know this type of prejudice is simply ignorance. Especially since his/her comment doesn't make any sense - 4 year old kids don't know what stereotypes are, so how would you make them "imitate a race", if that's how one imitates a race? What I don't understand is the reaction of this bigot. To me, this person is saying:
"Score! I pissed you off! And now I want to make you sound stupid by telling you to calm down."

It's a lot of hoop-la over nothing. Makes me think of highly insecure men who drive those sports cars without mufflers because they feel the need to overcompensate for their small penises.

So new social standard: Racist = small penis

Think it'll catch on???


Update: My dad has asked me to acknowledge female racists as well. Anyone know of the female equivalent situation to the "small-penis-man" formula???

No comments: