Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Choke

Bizarre and dark. Those are pretty much the two words I have for this book. Then again, for those who are fans of the book/movie Fight Club, Choke is written by the same author. So yes, exploration of the dysfunctional aspects of human nature, but definitely done in a darker tone. By dark, I don't mean that the reader will want to kill him/herself at the end. There's a lot of cynism and sarcasm, which makes the book have it's humorous moments, but the story isn't "happy-go-lucky", which is similar to reality anyway. This isn't exactly the easiest of reading, but it's not a hard read. I just couldn't absorb and zip through it like I did other novels.

I would think that this is more of a "guy's" book. Although it's smarter than Tucker Max and his guy version of "chick literature". I'm not sure whether I should be really indignant for my gender when it comes to Tucker Max's stories, or be highly amused. Either way, he doesn't exactly rank high on my reading list. He doesn't enlighten ... he kills brain cells.
 

No comments: