Saturday, May 2, 2009

When Mom-isms Get Annoying ...


Maybe it's because I've been around my mother more often than before, but her particular sayings have started to bug me a little. Like the word "apparently". I know I've talked about her particular use of this word before, but she actually uses this word incorrectly ALL THE TIME! For example, take last night:

"We were talking about the wedding and Angela apparently said ..."

Note how she states that she was present for the conversation, yet somehow what ever Angela said was still hearsay!!!!! I've actually tried to correct her and she took offense to it.

Or better yet, the other day she tried to convince me that "succession" and "secession" were spelled and pronounced the same way. It was one of those situations where I really wasn't in the mood to argue, but I guess I had a look on my face that was just begging for a fight. Actually, no, correction: I wasn't in the mood to argue, but the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "This is dumb." Probably wasn't the smartest thing to say but it came out of my mouth before I could stop myself. Thankfully, the TV was on and it showed the word "secession" and the fight was quashed before it could go on further.

Third incident that killed brain cells: I asked my mother on her thoughts of interracial couples. Her response:

"I don't have a problem with it unless one partner is sponging off the other."

Okay, pause to absorb that answer. Here is what I was able to understand from what she had said:

  • She approves of interracial couples where both partners have their own careers and are bringing in their own share of income to support the general household.
  • She disapproves of interracial couples where one partner isn't "holding his/her weight" of the couple's financial situation.
Areas where I find fault with her answer:

  • She herself is a housewife and is not contributing any income to her own household.
  • So if the couple were racially homogenous and one partner didn't have his/her own career and wasn't bringing in any income, it'd be okay???
  • It seems that her answer really reflects more on her views of couples in general, not specifically interracial couples - so technically she didn't answer my question.
My brain hurts ...

No comments: