Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Mother Is Killing My Brain Cells

In my old blog I had something I called "Mom-isms", which I am going to continue here. My mother has a tendency to say things that highly amuse my father and I, or just kill brain cells by the thousands. I say this in an endearing tone, but I've found that as my mother gets older, her thinking seems to be more and more traditionally Chinese with the occasional thought that just comes from left field. Maybe she's always thought like this and I've only started to notice because I've moved out of the house. I hear a lot of her upbringing, desire to improve her English vocabulary, and "small town syndrome" in her voice. A past example would be when she learned of the word "apparently":

Mom: "Marina and I went shopping today and apparently there was a red dress that I wanted to try on."

Dad: "Apparently?!? So was there a red dress or not?!?"


I arrived in LA last night and this morning, out of nowhere:

Mom: "I know art, even though I never got any training! I often surprise a lot of people with my critique of art and I say that a make-up artist who can make an ugly person beautiful, is TALENTED!"

Me: "... Okay Mom." *Inner dialogue: Ow! This hurts my brain ... this hurts my brain ...*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to indulge the degradation of my older family member's minds too. Just kind of develop that blank stare until they stop and you can continue on your merry way. Considering how fast paced things are in this world, it's kind of nice to have that moment your brain can shut off and the neck can auto jerk into the "yes, uh-huh, oh wow, you don't say" kind of up-and-down motion.

My favorite: "Well thats exactly what you were talking about for you"

Bunny said...

Haha, yeah ... Kinda a scary thought to know that if we ever have kids, they'll start doing the same thing to us. I wonder what I'd be rambling about when I become geriatric.